St. Catharines restaurant and bar operators can apply now to expand temporary outdoor patios, as well as tents and awnings, to help offset indoor dining limitations due to COVID-19 restrictions. The City of St. Catharines continues to support the community's economic recovery by extending the Temporary Outdoor Patios program, including waived fees and expedited renewals and approvals, until October 31, 2022.
Applying for a temporary patio
Applications for the Temporary Patio During COVID-19 program must include:
- Completed Temporary Outdoor Patio Site Plan and Checklist
- Landowner's authorization for temporary patios on leased private properties
- Certificate of Insurance naming the Corporation of the City of St. Catharines and demonstrating $5 million in commercial general liability (for temporary patios on public property)
You'll need to determine the size, location, layout, and capacity of your proposed patio. Most applications should be reviewed within five business days. Should your application meet all requirements, approval will be emailed.
If you received approval to operate a Temporary Patio in 2020 or 2021, you are eligible for renewal for the 2022 season. Renewals expire October 31, 2022. Your renewal is eligible for approval if you:
- Confirm the site plan will remain exactly the same
- Have a valid business licence to operate in the City of St. Catharines
- Include authorization from the landowner (if applicable)
- Ensure the Certificate of Insurance is valid (if applicable)
- Have written authorization from any adjacent business the patio extends in front of
Questions? Contact the Temporary Outdoor Patio team.